Friday, March 1, 2013

The Sunny Delight Logo

         Recently we spoke in class about how American Airlines changed their logo. When I read 10 Observations on the new American Airlines logo, the one thing that popped out to me besides the fact that American Airlines isn't the best flight company, was observation number two and number ten. Observation number two was that the new logo is not as good as the old logo. That logo was made in 1967 and although that was a long time ago, I like that logo better and think that they could of at least used the same logo and modified it to look modern. Observation number ten was that most people don't even notice logos, which I disagree with. To be honest, I have never noticed a logo that relates to traveling, but if it has to do with food and beverage, I've noticed it.
         One that I really noticed that has continuously changed is the Sunny Delight Logo. It feels weird even calling it Sunny Delight since they have the nick name of Sunny D, but Sunny D is an orange flavored drink that is 70 percent juice and 30 percent made of other natural materials, as they say. They came out in 1964, and from what I researched this is the first logo. I also remember seeing commercials and bottles from my childhood in the 1990's with this design. Compared to now the design is a little dull, but when I was younger I used to look at this design like this is really a sunny delight in a bottle. I used to think that the flavor was refreshing, reminding me of laying out in the warm sun on a beach, during a beautiful summer day.
         It was said that they abbreviated the name in order to make it sound cool. So Sunny Delight changed to  Sunny D in the early 2000's. There are currently three different logos, for three different areas of the world since it became so popular. There is the US design:
The UK Design:
& the Design for Spain and Portugal, who still call it Sunny Delight:
The one thing that remains the same in all of the designs is the Sunshine in the background of the words. The Sun is what makes Sunny D, Sunny D. Although the UK one is a bit different by having the "sunshine" in back of the fruit that the drink taste like, maybe they just didn't like the original US look. My favorite design out of all three of them is actually the one from the UK because I feel like the typeface and the graphics around it are more appealing to children now, it just looks more friendly and more "cool"  than the US and Spanish design. Do you think the new Sunny D logos took a change for the better? I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment